Skip to main content

Review: Surrender Your Sons by Adam Sass

 



Synopsis:

Connor Major’s summer break is turning into a nightmare.

His SAT scores bombed, the old man he delivers meals to died, and when he came out to his religious zealot mother, she had him kidnapped and shipped off to a secluded island. His final destination: Nightlight Ministries, a conversion therapy camp that will be his new home until he “changes.”

But Connor’s troubles are only beginning. At Nightlight, everyone has something to hide from the campers to the “converted” staff and cagey camp director, and it quickly becomes clear that no one is safe. Connor plans to escape and bring the other kidnapped teens with him. But first, he’s exposing the camp’s horrible truths for what they are— and taking this place down.


Review:

This was an arc from NetGalley.com and I was so excited to get this before publication. Unfortunately I didn't get this finished before it was published but I was still glad that I was able to read it. I was blown away by the story because it was something I don't normally read. I will not be adding this to the bookshelf in my office because I do not think this is something middle school students should be reading. This has LGBTQ+ rep, suicide, abuse, and forced religion within the pages. There was a big event that happened at the beginning of the story that puts Connor and his mother in the town that they are located. It causes his mother to become encompassed in the local church. So much so that she seems obsessed with the Reverend. I didn't like how it seemed like the events in the story happened in less than 48 hours when it felt like it should have taken place over a week or so. I was lost in the actions of the story though. 


E-book courtesy of NetGalley.com


Comments